Aftermarket Power Steering - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Suzuki' started by 2Kings, Jan 5, 2016.

1. 2Kings

2Kings Administrator Staff Member

Chris likes this.
  2. bp405

bp405 Administrator Staff Member

I know there was a part or two that was wearing prematurely on these units. Idk if it was on a particular unit or if it was a problem across the board. It is very well likely that the problem was corrected. Another problem I was reading about, again this goes back to when the units first came out is at speed the assist is still as powerful as when the quad is not moving. The OEM units have less and less eps input the faster the machine is moving. So what I have heard is the ez steer units give a floating sensation at speed.

Dan, Chris and 2Kings like this.
  3. 2Kings

Thanks for the reply @bp405, do you know of any other solutions that are available?

bp405 and Chris like this.
  4. bp405

Aside from buying a complete factory eps unit no. Definitely confirm my suspicions. Even if I am right I'm sure there are fixes out there.

2Kings and Chris like this.
  5. Dan

Dan Active Member

X2 I remember when superatv first came out with those kits they didn't have the speed control down. Otherwise they seemed to work quite well, but all that assist at high speed has the opposite effect of a steering stabilizer.

The biggest selling point to me with those is that they act like a steering stabilizer in addition to the power assist. So if your blasting through ruts or really rough trails, your much less likely to have the bars ripped out of your hands or to get "arm pump" setting in. Keep in mind your bearings and bushings are still taking as much of a hit, but they are replaceable, lol.

bp405 and 2Kings like this.
  6. 2Kings

Thanks @bp405 and @Dan, I'll do some research to see if they improved the speed stabilization.

bp405 likes this.
  7. 2Kings

I'm still thinking about doing this, the description states it is speed sensitive but there's not that much information floating around about them.

Chris likes this.
  8. Dan

Dan Active Member

I'd be curious to hear from them how the speed sensitive control works now. From what I remember the original units didn't tap into a speedo signal.

9. 2Kings

That's really my main concern.

Chris likes this.
  10. bp405

Right that's what I remember in the beginning there wasn't a lessening of eps input at speed. And the only other issue a vaguely recall was a mechanical issue with a part of the linkage. Atleast on the Polaris superATV setups. I think all that has been worked out but research that cause I'm not positive. @2Kings I'm in the same boat without eps and have heard how great it is. I've toyed with the idea of going with an aftermarket unit. Since I don't know what I'm missing with out having it or never trail riding a machine with it I guess for now I'll keep riding status quo.

2Kings likes this.
  11. Dan

Dan Active Member

Power steering on a decked out Utility quad is a thing of beauty, especially on the big heavy ones! Just rebuilt my buddies outlander xtp 1000 engine and that thing would be a bear to drive without it I think. It turns in real easily and doesn't kick back through the bars. That being said, mid size utility machines get by fine without it... My prairie 400 has (in my opinion) one of the best steering geometry's I've ridden in a midsize utility, I prefer it to any of the other machines around the same era, turns in easily enough, stable at speed, and very little bar feedback hopping ruts and wash outs. But, after a day of riding my arms will definitely be more vascular than his. ;) On that can am he can ride for days without getting wore out. Its amazing just how much your endurance gets saved with a little steering assist. Only way to go if I ever buy new.

Its real hard to say if it will be worth it or not with the aftermarket system though. Even if they have the speed control down, how the machine itself will handle with it is a guess at best until someones tried it on the same platform. The geometry of the machines steering will have a lot to do with it I think. You could spend quite a bit trying to chase that factory feel and never quite get there. I've looked into this a handful of times for customers and they ended up living with it or 'upgrading' to a newer machine just because of the uncertainty of the investment. I wish there was a trial period!

Chris, bp405 and 2Kings like this.